AMHERST COUNTY (WSLS 10) – The USDA Fire Service says the fire is estimated to be 6,485 acres in size.
As of Wednesday evening, officials say the fire is 10 percent contained.
Firefighters continue to build hand and dozer lines to contain the fire and helicopters are assigned to the fire and are dropping water within the priority areas as needed.
Public meeting is scheduled for this evening at the Central Baptist Church in Arrington at 7 pm.
Use caution and obey all road and trail closures for your safety.Road Closures:
- North Fork Road (SR 635) closed at Panther Mountain (FR #1286).
- Thrasher's Creek Road (SR) 617 is closed at Molly's Mountain due to firefighting activities. Local traffic will be permitted.
- The Mount Pleasant National Scenic Area is temporarily closed due to fire activities. All roads and trails within the Scenic Area are temporarily closed including:
- Hog Camp Gap Road (FR #48) from Hog Camp Gap to Salt Log Gap;
- Coon Bridge Road (FR #1167);
- Cow Camp Road (FR #520)
- Fletcher Mountain Road (FR #507)
- Appalachian National Scenic Trail (FT #1) from Long Mountain Wayside to Salt Log Gap;
- Old Hotel Trail (FT #515);
- Henry Lanum Trail (FT #702);
- Mt. Pleasant Trail (FT #704);
Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved