Authorities say food left on stove top unattended caused fire in Danville

By Brie Jackson - Weekend Anchor / Reporter
Headline Goes Here Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved

DANVILLE (WSLS 10) - The Danville Fire Department was dispatched to a house fire at 1:42 pm today. The first unit on scene reported a small 2-story house with smoke showing. According to officials, the occupants were out of the house and they advised the kitchen was on fire.

Firefighters entered the house and found the kitchen was on fire with heavy smoke throughout the residence. The fire was extinguished quickly. Searches of the house revealed no one was in the house and there was no extension of fire out of the kitchen. Firefighters responded with 3 engines, 1 ladder, and 2 support vehicles. A total of 15 Danville Fire Department personnel were on scene for one hour and forty-eight minutes. The fire investigation confirmed the fire started in the kitchen. The occupant placed food on the stove top and left the area.

The Red Cross will be helping two adults and one child with lodging. The fire department was also assisted by the Danville Life Saving Crew, Danville Police, and Danville Utilities.

This is the last day of Fire Prevention Week. Authorities are reminding everyone to never leave cooking unattended for any period of time. Please check your smoke alarms monthly to confirm the battery is working. Smoke alarms older than 10 years should be switched for new alarms.

The DFD installs smoke alarms at no charge. Please call the Danville Fire Dept. at 799-5226 to request your new smoke alarms. Please call Monday through Friday between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.

Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved