Update: Havelock fire accidental, caused by child playing with l - WSLS 10 NBC in Roanoke/Lynchburg Va

Update: Havelock fire accidental, caused by child playing with lighter

Posted: Updated:

The Fire Marshal has released the cause of a fire in Havelock this week.

It was accidental and started by a child playing with a lighter.

Firefighters in Havelock pulled a two-year-old out of the home on Main St./Pineview St. in a dramatic rescue Tuesday afternoon.

That boy's family called that firefighter a hero.

But the firefighter who saved the boy told 9 On Your Side it's all in a day's work. He had to climb into the boy's bedroom window and after hearing three cries, he found the child and brought him back to his family.

Firefighters said the fire started around 12 o'clock in the afternoon.

A family member said the two boys, one year old Dylan Burkett and three year old William Burkett, were inside with their father. The father was able to rescue his three year old, but his one year old was still sleeping in the other part of the house.

A wall of flames prevented him from getting closer, but that's when Havelock firefighter Charlie Winter stepped in and fought through the smoke to get to the baby.

"I want to thank the firefighter that saved my grandson. He's a real hero. They all are," said Richard Matson, the grandfather.

The three year old was taken to the hospital and later released. The two-year-old was taken to Vidant Medical Center and was in fair condition at last check.

The home was a total loss and so is the family's car. The Red Cross stepped in to help with a hotel and food.

Donations to the family can be written to the White Oak Church of God with an earmark Matson-Burkett fire fund. Persons wishing to donate items can call 252-393-8484.

Powered by WorldNow

WSLS 10, P.O. Box 10
Roanoke, VA 24022-0010

Telephone: 540.981.9110
Fax: 540.343.3157
Email: news@wsls.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.