Chef Michael Arrington at The Grove at Virginia Tech prepares The Grove's Crab Cakes.
The Grove's Crab Cakes
The Grove: Recipes and History of Virginia Tech's Presidential Residence
Clara B. Cox, Editor/Author
Michael Arrington, Chef; The Grove
Yield: 6 3-ounce crab cakes
Dressing (recipe below)
1 pound jumbo lump or lump crabmeat
4 slices soft white bread, cut into very small cubes after removing crust
2 tablespoons canola oil.
1. Prepare dressing. Fold in crabmeat.* Fold in bread cubes. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow bread to absorb dressing and bind cakes.
2. Remove from refrigerator; form into 3-ounce cakes.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
4. Heat oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Add crab cakes; pan-sear both sides. Remove cakes to a sheet pan lined with paper towels. When all cakes have been seared, move to another sheet pan. Heat through in preheated oven, about 15 minutes.
5. Serve warm. Chef Michael likes to serve the crab cakes with Granny Smith Apple and Fennel Slaw.
*The secret of good crab cakes is not to break any or as few as possible of the lumps of crab.
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
½ tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
1 egg yolk
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
Dash of Tabasco sauce
Mix ingredients in a bowl.
Visit www.FoodLion.com for recipes and great deals!
Law enforcement and rescuers of sex slaves reports because of a saturation of human trafficking in the deep south, more human traffickers are bringing young girls to Middle Tennessee. (07/29/14)