Woods: Garcia comment hurtful, time to move on - WSLS 10 NBC in Roanoke/Lynchburg Va

Woods: Garcia comment hurtful, time to move on

Posted: Updated:
VIRGINIA WATER, England -

Sergio Garcia apologized to Tiger Woods on Wednesday for saying he would have "fried chicken" at dinner with his rival, a comment that Woods described as hurtful and inappropriate.

"I want to send an unreserved apology. I did not want to offend anyone," Garcia said Wednesday. "My answer was totally stupid and out of place."

Garcia was at a European Tour awards dinner Tuesday night when he was jokingly asked if he would have Woods over for dinner during the U.S. Open. The two players had been verbally sparring since The Players Championship nearly two weeks ago.

"We'll have him round every night," Garcia replied. "We will serve fried chicken."

The remark took the golfers' differences into ugly territory, reminiscent of when Fuzzy Zoeller made a similar comment about Woods after he won the 1997 Masters, becoming the first player of black heritage to win a major.

"The comment that was made wasn't silly. It was wrong, hurtful and clearly inappropriate," Woods said in a series of tweets. "I'm confident that there is real regret the remark was made. The Players ended nearly two weeks ago and it's long past time to move and talk about golf."

For once, both players agreed.

Garcia held an impromptu news conference at the BMW PGA Championship to elaborate on a statement he sent out Tuesday night through the European Tour.

"I want to also apologize to my Ryder Cup teammates who were there last night for taking the shine away from a wonderful event, and finally and foremost, I want to apologize to Tiger to anyone I could have offended. I felt very sick about it and feel really bad, and just hope to settle things down and move on."

Garcia said he called Mark Steinberg, Woods' agent at Excel Sports, because he doesn't have a phone number for the world's No. 1 player.

The Spaniard said his comment about fried chicken was not intended as a racist remark.

"It was a funny question and I wanted it to be a funny answer in reply," he said. "I started to get a sick feeling straight after the dinner and I felt so bad I thought my heart was going to come out of my body. I felt bad about (it) all day."

29 Virginia High Schools on Personal Finance Top-100 List

Tuesday, April 22 2014 9:32 PM EDT2014-04-23 01:32:06 GMT
    29 schools in the Commonwealth, including many in our area, ranked the the nation's top 100 best high schools for personal finance instruction.

Franklin Co. Sheriff's Office investigating juvenile death

Franklin Co. Sheriff's Office investigating juvenile death

Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:50 AM EDT2014-04-22 14:50:58 GMT
    Deputies were called to Double Oaks Lane in the Burnt Chimney community, where they found a seven-year-old boy with a gunshot wound.

Roanoke Police release pictures of suspects in armed robbery

Monday, April 21 2014 4:23 PM EDT2014-04-21 20:23:34 GMT
    Roanoke City Police continue to investigate the armed robbery that took place at Check into Cash on Valley View Boulevard last Tuesday, April 15th.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack

Tuesday, April 22 2014 2:49 PM EDT2014-04-22 18:49:19 GMT
    Image from CNN/KHOU-TVImage from CNN/KHOU-TV
    In a backyard in Alvin, swings a very lucky girl. Her name is Mackenzi Plass, or Kenzi for short, and she survived a dog attack and has undergone several surgeries."She'll be two and a half in May," said her very proud mother Chelsi Camp. "She's doing great. You wouldn't know it if you couldn't see."Mackenzi has scars on her face after the ordeal just weeks ago that put her mother's animal instincts to the test."You do whatever you can," said Camp. "I don't have physical strength at my side."...

Mom wins lawsuit against TSA after breast milk screening problems

Wednesday, April 23 2014 4:40 PM EDT2014-04-23 20:40:54 GMT
    A Southern California woman who was held at a Phoenix airport four years ago after refusing to have her breast milk X-rayed has reached a settlement with the Transportation Security Administration. Stacey

Owner of Raleigh 'Party Mansion' guilty of tax evasion

Monday, April 14 2014 4:07 PM EDT2014-04-14 20:07:04 GMT
    Claude Verbal II, who now lives in Miami, pleads guilty to a number of federal tax evasion charges.
Powered by WorldNow

WSLS 10, P.O. Box 10
Roanoke, VA 24022-0010

Telephone: 540.981.9110
Fax: 540.343.3157
Email: news@wsls.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.