Police: Gas in NC motel where boy, 2 others died - WSLS 10 NBC in Roanoke/Lynchburg Va

Police: Gas in NC motel where boy, 2 others died

Posted: Updated:
BOONE, N.C. -

Carbon monoxide poisoning is likely to blame for the recent death of an 11-year-old boy in a motel room and the deaths of a couple found inside the same motel room nearly two months ago, police said.
    
Emergency responders found carbon monoxide in the room where Jeffrey Williams of Rock Hill, S.C., died Saturday, Boone police said in a news release Monday. Investigators said a preliminary autopsy found the boy died of asphyxia, which happens when toxic gases cut off oxygen to the body. State medical examiners will conduct toxicology tests on samples taken from the boy's body.
    
Jeffrey's 49-year-old mother, Jeannie Williams, was rushed to a hospital and survived.
    
A Longview, Wash., couple was found dead in the same motel room April 16. New toxicology results show 73-year-old Daryl Dean Jenkins and 72-year-old Shirley Mae Jenkins died of carbon monoxide poisoning, police said. A regional pathologist's autopsies on the couple were inconclusive, police said.
    
Appalachian Hospitality Management, which runs the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza, did not return phone messages from The Associated Press on Monday.
    
The motel room the Williamses and Jenkinses shared is near an indoor pool heated by a natural gas heater, Boone Police Sgt. Shane Robbins said.
    
The motel has been closed by police until at least Wednesday, when inspectors from the State Board of Examiners of Plumbing, Heating and Fire Sprinkler Contractors are due to arrive, Robbins said.
    
The Jenkinses were visiting Boone at the beginning of what was to be a three-week vacation, with the entire family planning to meet in Las Vegas near the end, their son, Doug Jenkins, told The Charlotte Observer. His aunt and uncle were traveling with the couple and found them in a position that would suggest they hadn't died from a sudden medical condition, Doug Jenkins said. He declined to elaborate.
    
"Do you know how mad I am right now?" Doug Jenkins said. "Why are they still renting out this room?"

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Wilson community holds vigil for slain 7-year-old boy

    Wilson community holds vigil for slain 7-year-old boy

    Monday, July 28 2014 4:58 AM EDT2014-07-28 08:58:46 GMT
    Hundreds stood outside the Wilson County Courthouse on Sunday night to help a family grieve four days after 7-year-old Kamari Jones was shot and killed in his own home.
    Hundreds stood outside the Wilson County Courthouse on Sunday night to help a family grieve four days after 7-year-old Kamari Jones was shot and killed in his own home.
  • 2 charged with first-degree murder in beating death of UNC professor, cancer researcher

    2 charged with first-degree murder in beating death of UNC professor, cancer researcher

    Friday, July 25 2014 9:00 AM EDT2014-07-25 13:00:14 GMT
    A UNC research professor was robbed and beaten to death Wednesday afternoon on University Drive in Chapel Hill, police said.
    A UNC research professor was robbed and beaten to death Wednesday afternoon on University Drive in Chapel Hill, police said.
  • Stolen dinosaur replica returned to Raleigh museum

    Stolen dinosaur replica returned to Raleigh museum

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:13 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:13:16 GMT
    A model of a baby dinosaur that was stolen from the Museum of Natural Sciences has been returned to the museum, officials said at a news conference Monday.
    A model of a baby dinosaur that was stolen from the Museum of Natural Sciences has been returned to the museum, officials said at a news conference Monday.
Powered by WorldNow

WSLS 10, P.O. Box 10
Roanoke, VA 24022-0010

Telephone: 540.981.9110
Fax: 540.343.3157
Email: news@wsls.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.