Chef Tom Triantafilles makes Sweet & Sour Crispy Veal Sweetbread "Jap Chae"
• 1 pack sweetbreads
• 2 cups flour
• 2 tbsp salt
• 1 tbsp black pepper
• 6 oz. sweet chile sauce
Asian Stir Fry
• 1 Piece Bok Choy, cut in half and core removed
• 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
• 1 bu. scallions cut into two inch strips
• 1 cup broccoli florets
• 1 small pack fresh ramen noodles
Stir Fry Sauce
• 1 cup soy sauce
• 1/2 cup oyster sauce
• 1/4 cup mirin
• 1/2 cup sweet chile sauce
• 1/4 cup sake
1. Pre heat an oven to 400 degrees.
2. Get a pan to medium heat with some oil
3. Mix the flour, salt, and pepper together. Coat the sweetbreads with the flour mixture.
4. Add the sweetbreads to the pan and sear until crispy and golden brown on one side (3-4 minutes)
5. Transfer pan to the oven and cook until hot all the way through (8-10 minutes)
6. Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil, blanch the vegetables for 20 seconds, then transfer to a hot wok or saute pan.
7. Add the ramen noodles and toss together.
8. Add the stir fry sauce and cook for 2 minutes.
9. Pull the sweetbreads out of the oven and add the sweet chile sauce to the pan, put back on the stove and let the sweetbreads get glazed by the sauce and become sticky.
10. Dump the stir fry into a deep bowl, then top with the sweetbreads.