Wake Co. mother shares her personal story of abortion - WSLS 10 NBC in Roanoke/Lynchburg Va

Wake Co. mother shares her personal story of abortion

Posted: Updated:
FUQUAY-VARINA, N.C. -

The topic of abortion is a passionate one for a lot of people.

One mother in Fuquay-Varina called WNCN to share her story about how the choices she made impacted her life.

Nicole Sickles and her high school sweetheart ended up about to have a baby at the age of 18.

"I was panicked, I wanted to keep the baby he didn't want to keep the baby, and I loved him so I had an abortion at 11 weeks," explained Sickles.

It's a moment she says haunts her to this day.

"The machine went inside me and it was like being cut in half by a chainsaw," she recalled.

But Sickles recovered, and moved to California where she landed spots in movies and was a model.

Her life seemed to be turning, around until one night while on a date with a Navy SEAL.

"A gentleman came in, kicked the door open and put a gun to his head,' she recalled, "I was brutally raped and almost murdered, and I was impregnated by this rapist."

Once again Sickles faced a choice.

"I was scared to bring this child into the world because I was afraid that everyone would think that I did something wrong," she said.

Sickles had her second abortion.

"Now I live with pain, I live with guilt, I live with remorse. I murdered my baby. I murdered my child," she said.

Years later, Sickles got married and the couple was expecting a baby boy. She was not expecting to have to make a difficult choice yet again. Her pregnancy went south fast, putting her own life at stake.

"I was going to have this child, I was not going to abort another baby," she said.

Weeks later Adam was born.

"He was born with leukemia and down syndrome," she said. He faced many medical issues, but he was one tough little fighter and now is growing every day, alongside his four brothers and sisters.

Sickles says it's a miracle that all came down to a choice.

"I believe in women's rights, I do, but I would rather have known what God gave me then to have destroyed it," she said. "Adam's taught me more about love and sacrifice and faith and pride and honor than I've ever known in my entire life."

Jonathan Rodriguez

Jonathan Rodriguez is an investigative reporter and member of the WNCN Investigates team. His storytelling specialty is connecting the dots to get to the truth, with a goal of delivering results for our community. If you have something you’d like WNCN to investigate, contact Jonathan.

More>>

• Wake CountyMore>>

Texas school district continues to poach NC teachers

Tuesday, July 22 2014 11:14 AM EDT2014-07-22 15:14:13 GMT
    In May, the Houston Independent placed an ad in the News & Observer about a job fair on May 31 at the DoubleTree Hotel in Raleigh.In May, the Houston Independent placed an ad in the News & Observer about a job fair on May 31 at the DoubleTree Hotel in Raleigh.
    The Houston Independent School District in Texas is once again poaching teachers from North Carolina.

The Clueless Chick: National Hot Dog Day

Tuesday, July 22 2014 5:00 AM EDT2014-07-22 09:00:20 GMT
    Wednesday is National Hot Dog Day, which means it's the perfect excuse to fire up the grill for a little mid-week cookout. And what would National Hot Dog Day be without hot dog inspired party ideas from our party planning expert Jennifer Durbin.

AK-47 sales surge, some NC gun dealers report

Monday, July 21 2014 10:56 PM EDT2014-07-22 02:56:38 GMT
    Fuquay Gun is one of several firearms dealers reporting increased AK-47 sales in the last few days.Fuquay Gun is one of several firearms dealers reporting increased AK-47 sales in the last few days.
    Firearms dealers say sales of semi-automatic AK-47 rifles are surging amid concerns of a possible shortage of Russian-made versions.
  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Parts of Durham once again flood as business owner looks for relief

Monday, July 21 2014 10:20 PM EDT2014-07-22 02:20:30 GMT
    Several inches of rain created flooding in parts of Durham on Monday.
    Several inches of rain created flooding in parts of Durham on Monday.

Largest companies by revenue in each state

Thursday, July 10 2014 8:01 PM EDT2014-07-11 00:01:10 GMT
    Broadview Networks recently decided to find out the biggest -- by revenue -- company in each state in the US.The company used the Fortune 500 list to start with, but needed data by state, so it turned to Hoover's.With data from that company, they were able to search through each state's list of companies and then find the largest -- by revenue.Just flip through the list above and see who is the biggest in each state, what town they are based and their revenue.

Durham worker says he was let go after receiving back pay

Monday, July 21 2014 10:32 PM EDT2014-07-22 02:32:25 GMT
    Michael David said Dayeco Construction owed him a paycheck for more than six weeks of work.Michael David said Dayeco Construction owed him a paycheck for more than six weeks of work.
    A Durham man said he was let go by his employer after finally getting a paycheck that he'd waited six weeks to receive.
Powered by WorldNow

WSLS 10, P.O. Box 10
Roanoke, VA 24022-0010

Telephone: 540.981.9110
Fax: 540.343.3157
Email: news@wsls.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.