Duke Energy admits to more mistakes in rate hike case - WSLS 10 NBC in Roanoke/Lynchburg Va

Duke Energy admits to more mistakes in rate hike case

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

North Carolina Utilities Commission Chairman Ed Finley tells Duke Energy "the commission is concerned" about the utility giant's accounting procedures.

NC WARN, has accused Duke Energy of "gross incompetence" or "corporate fraud." The environmental justice group claims the nation's largest utility company deliberately tried to defraud North Carolinians by submitting a rate hike proposal with expenses including corporate jet travel and political contributions.

Duke Energy is requesting $235 million annually in the form of residential, commercial and industrial rate increases.

If approved, the increase would mean the average residential household would pay about $7.50 more per month.

A week of hearings before the commission wrapped up Friday and resulted in $474,000 in deductions that Duke agreed to remove from the settlement deal including:

-          $300,000 in political contributions

-          $156,000 for a power plant study conducted as part of the Duke-Progress merger

-          $419 for a golf tournament

-          $50 for Cincinnati Reds tickets

-          $9,882 in dues paid to the Southeast Energy Efficiency Alliance

NC WARN's economist William Marcus also highlighted expenses including $1,900 dollars for pecan processors which were gifts to developers and a $1,300 dollar lunch with Chinese bankers. 

"We've identified miscoded items and removed those from the settlement agreement, those are taken out. And we've also made additional adjustments," said company spokesman, Jeff Brooks.

Brooks maintains the company's mistakes were not "deliberate" attempts to overcharge customers.

WNCN asked Brooks what Duke Energy is doing to ensure such mistakes don't happen in future rate hike cases.

"Certainly in any rate case proceeding of this size there's a possibility of a mistake or interpretation of a charge… But we're going to be taking a look at the processes and controls that we use in this process to ensure that we can continue to improve and address any miscoded items that were identified in this case," said Brooks.

The $474,000 in reductions Duke agreed to this week are in addition to about $9 million that the Commission's Public Staff deemed inappropriate and removed last month.

NC WARN believes there is still about $100 million more in inappropriate expenses hidden in the settlement deal but the group's attorney, John Runkle, was shut down Friday when he tried to cross examine members of the Public Staff to prove it.

Finley sustained an objection to the cross examination citing settlement negotiations as "confidential."

NC WARN director Jim Warren says there's a strong chance the parties will now end up in court.

"It is obvious Duke has tried to defraud North Carolinians and the public staff is going along with it," Warren said Friday.

Charlotte Huffman

An award-winning journalist with an investigative edge, Charlotte has driven legislative change with reports on workplace safety concerns and contaminated groundwater. Contact our Investigative Team anytime HERE. More>>

  • Iraq's top Shiite cleric appeals to politicians

    Iraq's top Shiite cleric appeals to politicians

    Friday, August 1 2014 7:38 AM EDT2014-08-01 11:38:15 GMT
    The United Nations says 1,737 people, mostly civilians, were killed in Iraq in July, marking a dramatic decline from the previous month, when some 2,400 people were killed as Sunni militants swept across large...
    Iraq's most influential Shiite cleric is appealing to politicians not to be "an obstacle" in the process of transition as Iraq nears a deadline to select its next prime minister.
  • 35 killed, soldier missing as Gaza truce unravels

    35 killed, soldier missing as Gaza truce unravels

    Friday, August 1 2014 7:22 AM EDT2014-08-01 11:22:40 GMT
    A three-day cease-fire in the Gaza Strip has gone into effect following heavy Israel-Hamas fighting.
    A Gaza cease-fire quickly unraveled Friday as violence erupted in and around the southern town of Rafah, with 35 Palestinians killed by Israeli shelling and the military saying one of its soldiers may have been abducted.
  • Large expert team reaches Ukraine crash site

    Large expert team reaches Ukraine crash site

    Friday, August 1 2014 6:33 AM EDT2014-08-01 10:33:39 GMT
    Ukrainian authorities said Friday that at least 10 government troops were killed in an ambush by pro-Russian separatists in an area near the wreckage of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17, but international inspectors...
    A team of several dozen international investigators descended Friday on the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 crash site in eastern Ukraine to begin combing an area now designated as a crime scene.
Powered by WorldNow

WSLS 10, P.O. Box 10
Roanoke, VA 24022-0010

Telephone: 540.981.9110
Fax: 540.343.3157
Email: news@wsls.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.