An 11-year-old girl died when a power line fell near a pool while she was having swim practice in on Tuesday evening.
The incident happened at Brookside Swim Club near Lexington, N.C., around 8 pm, WFMY-TV reported.
A power line snapped and sent a high voltage current through the water, the TV station reported.
The president of Brookside Swim Club, Julie Rhodes, told WFMY that people at the pool heard a loud "pop" and saw a power line near the road in front of the swim club fell in the parking lot.
The wire did not actually fall into the pool, and Rhodes told WFMY that said she has no idea how the electrical charge would have moved from the parking lot to the pool.
Rhodes said several other children in the pool at the time of the pop, and about three were in the pool in the moments before the electric shock went through the water, according to the TV station.
They were not immediately told to get out because the wire had not fallen in the pool, Rhodes told WFMY-TV.
When some of the children started saying the pool felt "funny," lifeguards told them to get out.
Two of the children jumped out, but Lauren grabbed the ladder by the 3-feet deep end of the pool.
Lifeguards, a swim coach and Rhodes were shocked when they tried to grab Lauren from the ladder, according to WFMY. Her head was held out of the water by a boogey board, until they could pull her out.
Lauren's mother was at the pool and witnessed the event. Rhodes said she ran over to her daughter when she started struggling.
EMS arrived and did CPR until they got Lauren to a nearby hospital, where she was pronounced dead.