Peach Cake Roll
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or crème bouquet
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar sprinkled on a tea towel
2 Ripe peaches, peeled and sliced or diced into small pieces
2 cups whipped whipping cream ( 1 pint)* recipe attached
½ cup confectioner's sugar for dusting if desired.
5-7 Mint leaves as a garnish.
Instructions for Jelly Roll Assembly:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 15 1/2" X 10 1/2 "x 2" jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Spray both sides of paper with cooking spray. Place tea towel on counter, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Set aside.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
3. In mixing bowl, beat eggs on high speed until thick and lemon colored about 5 minutes.
4. Gradually beat in sugar to egg mixture. On low speed add water and extract.
5. Gradually add flour mixture to egg mixture. Mix gently to incorporate. Do not beat batter.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes or until center is done.
7. Immediately loosen cake edges with knife, invert onto prepared tea towel. Remove parchment paper.
8. Roll hot cake from narrow end including the tea towel into a roll. Let cool.
9. Unroll and fill with whipped cream and sliced peaches. Keep refrigerated.
Yield: One cake roll or 10-1" servings
1 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
Yield: 2 cups whipped cream
Basic jelly rolls are sponge type cakes filled with jams or jellies. Lemon curd is also a great choice.
Be sure to roll cake while it is hot to prevent cake from cracking. Unroll cake roll after cooled, then spread with filling. Re-roll cake and refrigerate. Garnish as desired...sprinkled powdered sugar.
For chocolate cake roll, beat in 1/4 cup baking cocoa with the flour.
Serve it up Sassy! TM- Liz Bushong, Just Desserts cookbook.