Autumn Squash & Caramelized Onion Tarts with Goat Cheese - Chef Mike Behmoiras and Food Blogger Susan Whetzel
Recipe from Chef Mike Behmoiras, Executive Chef of The Bank Food & Drink
For the Squash
• 1 Buttercup Squash, peeled and halved
• 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
• 2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
• ½ teaspoon salt
• Pinch pepper
Scoop out seeds of halved squash and discard. Slice squash thinly and toss in a bowl with remaining ingredients. Roast at 350 for 1/2 hour on parchment lined baking sheet. Set aside.
For the Onion
• ½ MediumYellow onion, thinly sliced
Saute onion in oil or butter until nicely caramelized and aromatic. Set aside.
For Tart assembly:
• 1 sheet frozen Puff Pastry, thawed
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon water
• Prepared Onions
• Prepared Squash
• ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cut thawed pastry dough into 8 even squares, roughly 3 ½ in square. Place each square on the prepared baking sheet.
3. Combine egg and water in small bowl; brush egg wash onto each pastry square.
4. Top each square of dough with onions, followed by slices of squash arranged in a shingle formation. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Increase temperature to 400 and continue to bake an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Remove from oven and top each with roughly 1 tablespoon of crumbled goat cheese.