NC to continue WIC program after securing funds - WSLS 10 NBC in Roanoke/Lynchburg Va

NC to continue WIC program after securing funds

Posted: Updated:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -

As North Carolina resumes issuing benefits to poor women and their children through a federally funded program, some groups are questioning why the state suspended them in the first place, then reversed course two days later.
    
State Health and Human Services Department announced Tuesday that it would halt vouchers for the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children program because it lacked sufficient funds.
    
North Carolina was the first state to halt its WIC program.
    
But in a news release Thursday night, State Health and Human Services Secretary Aldona Wos said her department had secured additional money to extend the WIC program through October.
    
Wos' department said the money came from leftover cash from last year, more contingency funds from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and rebates from WIC formula manufacturer Nestle.
    
Local health departments were being alerted to resume issuing vouchers.
    
WIC provides food vouchers, nutrition education and health care referrals for 264,000 women and children monthly in North Carolina. The federal government usually pays the program's $205 million cost.
    
Groups that help the poor were troubled the state had stopped issuing vouchers - especially when the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which oversees the program, said it would provide $125 million in contingency funds to help states keep WIC programs running during the shutdown.
    
The Rev. Douglas Greenaway, president of the nonprofit National WIC Association, said he doesn't know why the program was suspended in North Carolina.
    
"It's a mystery to us," he said Friday.
    
But he said it caused undue stress on families.
    
"We don't understand why this had to happen. North Carolina was the outlier in this. USDA had provided them with contingency funds. So it's perplexing. This created even greater uncertainty in the lives of these vulnerable mothers and children - unnecessarily," Greenaway said."
    
U.S. Rep. David Price, D-N.C. also said he didn't understand the state's move.
    
"North Carolina was the only state in the country to discontinue benefits. It is not clear why the (Gov. Pat) McCrory Administration disrupted benefits with these funds available, but I am pleased they have abruptly reversed course," he said in a news release.
    
DHHS spokesman Ricky Diaz said Friday his department issued an Oct. 3 news release warning of possible funding problems with the program - and that WIC would continue to enroll new participants until at least Tuesday, Oct. 8.
    
In the news release, Wos said: "DHHS will maintain the WIC program as long as existing federal funds will allow."
    
USDA spokesman Bruce Alexander said Friday his department calculated early on how much money states would need to continue the WIC program during the government shutdown.
    
"We went across each state to make sure that they had everything they needed for as long as this shutdown was going to last. We wanted to make sure we gave them enough to operate on," he said.
    
He said he couldn't discuss specifics of what happened in North Carolina.
    
"We don't want to point the finger at anybody. In a situation like this you just want to work together," he said.
    
While Diaz said no contingency funds were turned down, he didn't immediately answer specific questions about when funds those were requested.
    
But Diaz warned that other states could be facing similar problems if the federal shutdown continues.
    
"More states might be forced to turn away new WIC enrollees, or stop redeeming existing vouchers. Benefits are in jeopardy nationwide because of the federal shutdown," he said.

RELATED STORIES

 

  • PoliticsMore>>

  • Marijuana group celebrates 4/20 with new Raleigh chapter

    Marijuana group celebrates 4/20 with new Raleigh chapter

    Monday, April 21 2014 5:09 AM EDT2014-04-21 09:09:11 GMT
    On this twentieth day of April, 4/20, some people in Raleigh are pushing for changes to the state's marijuana laws.
    On this twentieth day of April, 4/20, some people in Raleigh are pushing for changes to the state's marijuana laws.
  • NC report expands on jobless rate drop, more work

    NC report expands on jobless rate drop, more work

    North Carolina officials are releasing a report offering more details on employment conditions in March, when nearly 20,000 jobs were added and the jobless rate fell to 6.3 percent.
    North Carolina officials are releasing a report offering more details on employment conditions in March, when nearly 20,000 jobs were added and the jobless rate fell to 6.3 percent.
  • McIntyre's retirement opens door for GOP in NC 7th

    McIntyre's retirement opens door for GOP in NC 7th

    Sunday, April 20 2014 12:33 PM EDT2014-04-20 16:33:02 GMT
    Democratic Rep. Mike McIntyre will retire after nine terms representing North Carolina's 7th Congressional district.Democratic Rep. Mike McIntyre will retire after nine terms representing North Carolina's 7th Congressional district.
    With McIntyre announcing his retirement after nine terms representing North Carolina's 7th Congressional district, Rouzer is back on the ballo.    
    With McIntyre announcing his retirement after nine terms representing North Carolina's 7th Congressional district, Rouzer is back on the ballo.    
  • Henry County Suspicious Activity

    Henry County Suspicious Activity

    Saturday, April 19 2014 10:07 PM EDT2014-04-20 02:07:16 GMT
    Press Release from the Henry County Sheriff's OfficeThe Henry County Sheriff’s Office received a call on April 18, 2014 regarding suspicious activity. Three white males driving a white pickup truck were seen in the area of Glen Court in the Ridgeway area of Henry County. The individuals walked to the back of a residence but a neighbor yelled at them and they left. Entry into the home was not gained. On April 19, 2014, three white males were seen on Andra Drive, also in Ridgeway. A male subjec...
    Press Release from the Henry County Sheriff's OfficeThe Henry County Sheriff’s Office received a call on April 18, 2014 regarding suspicious activity. Three white males driving a white pickup truck were seen in the area of Glen Court in the Ridgeway area of Henry County. The individuals walked to the back of a residence but a neighbor yelled at them and they left. Entry into the home was not gained. On April 19, 2014, three white males were seen on Andra Drive, also in Ridgeway. A male subjec...
  • 3 Blacksburg companies raise major capital

    3 Blacksburg companies raise major capital

    Thursday, April 17 2014 2:29 PM EDT2014-04-17 18:29:23 GMT
    Three Blacksburg companies have raised major capital recently.
    Three Blacksburg companies have raised major capital recently.
  • Bedford Co. Sheriff's Office investigates burglary at country club

    Bedford Co. Sheriff's Office investigates burglary at country club

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 12:16 PM EDT2014-04-16 16:16:02 GMT
    Investigators with the Bedford County Sheriff's Office are investigating a burglary of the Boonsboro Country Club.
    Investigators with the Bedford County Sheriff's Office are investigating a burglary of the Boonsboro Country Club.
Powered by WorldNow

WSLS 10, P.O. Box 10
Roanoke, VA 24022-0010

Telephone: 540.981.9110
Fax: 540.343.3157
Email: news@wsls.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.