Rep. Price says McCrory hasn't responded on questions about WIC - WSLS 10 NBC in Roanoke/Lynchburg Va

Rep. Price says McCrory hasn't responded on questions about WIC

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

U.S. Rep. David Price says he has gotten no response from Gov. Pat McCrory on why North Carolina was the only state to announce it would end aid to low-income families, pregnant women and infants during the recent federal government shut down.
    
The Democrat from Chapel Hill said at a luncheon in Raleigh on Friday that the state's Republican administration appeared too eager to cut off help to poor families during the crisis.
    
Price suggested that North Carolina being alone among the 50 states in announcing it would end federal welfare-to-work assistance and food aid is a sign there is something "really wrong" with McCrory's administration. He and two other Democratic congressmen from North Carolina, Rep. Mel Watt of Charlotte and Rep. G.K. Butterfield of Wilson, sent an Oct. 15 letter questioning the decisions and asking McCrory to reverse course.
    
"I think it is a very troubling episode," Price said, speaking to a group of reporters. "Seems like they were almost too eager to cut off these benefits. That's the way it looked. If we were one out of 20 or 30 states, that would be different. But when you are one out of 50, that's pretty surely a sign of being an outlier."
    
Asked for response to Price's comments, McCrory spokesman Ryan Tronovitch said: "We appreciate Rep. Price getting in touch with us and we are glad that the federal shutdown is over."
    
The N.C. Department of Health and Human Services announced earlier this month it was halting the supplemental food voucher program helping 264,000 low-income mothers and their young children due to the shutdown. But the agency announced two days later the program would resume issuing benefits because officials had located money to operate it through the end of October.
    
The state then announced it would stop accepting Work First applications and told counties they'd have to make do with fewer child care subsidy dollars because money wasn't authorized by Congress after Sept. 30. More than 20,700 North Carolinians received Work First services last month.
    
North Carolina was the only state not to extend services with state dollars and wait for reimbursement from the federal government. DHHS spokesman Ricky Diaz said earlier this week state that officials weren't persuaded North Carolina could count on that payback.
    
"There were pretty Republican and pretty conservative states that found this good enough and North Carolina is the only one out of 50 that did not," Price said Friday. "That's a pretty good tip off that there's something really wrong here."
    
Congressional legislation that passed Wednesday night to end the shutdown directed reimbursement to the states for federal programs that continued during the shutdown.
    
Price said had the shutdown not ended, he and the other North Carolina Democrats were poised to use their Congressional authority to demand answers from the state.
    
"We could have taken it much further, and would have, had the shutdown not ended," he said.

  • Franklin County accident causes lane closures on Brooks Mill Road

    Franklin County accident causes lane closures on Brooks Mill Road

    Franklin County accident causes lane closures on Brooks Mill Road

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 5:16 AM EDT2014-07-30 09:16:44 GMT
    FRANKLIN COUNTY (WSLS) - State Police are on the scene of an accident on Brooks Mill Road (Rt. 834) near the Ponderosa campground.
    FRANKLIN COUNTY (WSLS) - State Police are on the scene of an accident on Brooks Mill Road (Rt. 834) near the Ponderosa campground.
  • Fugitive sex offender captured in Roanoke

    Fugitive sex offender captured in Roanoke

    Fugitive sex offender captured in Roanoke

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 12:41 AM EDT2014-07-30 04:41:44 GMT
    ROANOKE (WSLS) - A man wanted for sex crimes against a minor was captured in Roanoke during a traffic stop.
    ROANOKE (WSLS) - A man wanted for sex crimes against a minor was captured in Roanoke during a traffic stop.
  • Roanoke Police investigate shots fired incident

    Roanoke Police investigate shots fired incident

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 10:37 PM EDT2014-07-30 02:37:03 GMT
    On July 29, 2014 at 6:08 p.m. Roanoke Police were dispatched to the 1200 block of Orange Avenue NE to investigate a shots fired call. Immediately upon arrival officers detained several subjects believed to have been involved in the incident. The preliminary investigation suggests the individuals involved were traveling in two different vehicles on Hollins Road when at least one of the occupants in one of the vehicles starting shooting at the other vehicle. The vehicles separated briefly and t...
    On July 29, 2014 at 6:08 p.m. Roanoke Police were dispatched to the 1200 block of Orange Avenue NE to investigate a shots fired call. Immediately upon arrival officers detained several subjects believed to have been involved in the incident. The preliminary investigation suggests the individuals involved were traveling in two different vehicles on Hollins Road when at least one of the occupants in one of the vehicles starting shooting at the other vehicle. The vehicles separated briefly and t...
Powered by WorldNow

WSLS 10, P.O. Box 10
Roanoke, VA 24022-0010

Telephone: 540.981.9110
Fax: 540.343.3157
Email: news@wsls.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.