Amy Carter from Sarah's Place shares traditional meal ideas for Easter: Italian Meat Pie and Italian Sweet Pie.
Use Pillsbury ready made crust
1/2 lb sweet italian sausage (or hot if you prefer) removed from the casing
3 eggs, beaten
2 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
1 lb ricotta cheese
1/3 lb fresh mozzarella cut into bite size pieces
1/4 c grated parmesan or romano cheese
1/4 lb priscuitto (or american ham if you prefer), sliced and cut into 1 inch pieces
1/4 lb genoa salami, sliced and cut into 1 inch pieces
1/4 lb pepperoni, sliced and cut into 1 inch pieces
parsley flakes and pepper to taste (you can add a little salt, to taste but remember the meats are salty so don't add too much salt)
1 egg yolk for egg wash
1.Take one of the pie crusts and lay it in the spring pan.
2. if it doesn’t fit take a roller and stretch it out a bit
3. Now on to the filling.......
4. Brown the sausage, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
5. In a large bowl, add the three beaten eggs, Ricotta, Mozzarella, Parmesan, chopped eggs, meats and seasonings. Mix well.
6. Pour the filling into the pastry crust - mine filled to about an inch from the top. Cut the top crust to fit the round pan. Place the round crust on top of the filling. Crimp around the edges - I used a fork. Cut two strips of leftover dough to make a cross. Place the dough cross on top of the Pizza Chena. Cut slits in dough to vent.
Italian Easter Pie (Pizza Chena)
7. Beat the egg yolk and brush on top of the Pizza Chena.
8. TIP: If using All Ready Pie Crust - You will need to roll out the bottom crust to make it large enough to fit in the spring form pan. Spray the pan with Pam and then carefully place the crust in the pan - the sides may hang over just a little.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 60 - 75 minutes or until to is golden brown.
10. NOTE: Pizza Chena is best when made a day or two ahead of time. Let it cool and then store in frig. Bring to room temp before serving!
Italian Sweet Pie
3 lb whole milk ricotta cheese
1 c sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c semi sweet chocolate chips
1. Combine all ingredients in large bowl and mix well.
2. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan or two 10 inch rounds.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes (until top is golden.) Start checking after an hour.
4. Let cool completely. (You can make this ahead and keep in frig.)
5. Cut into squares and arrange on plate (if baked in pan) or if you baked in the two rounds, serve like you would a pie. Enjoy!