Boy electrocuted while swimming in backyard pool; pool light to - WSLS 10 NBC in Roanoke/Lynchburg Va

Boy electrocuted while swimming in backyard pool; pool light to blame

Posted: Updated:
NORTH MIAMI, FL -

A 7-year-old Florida boy was electrocuted and died after swimming in the family's pool.

Calder Sloan was swimming with another boy Sunday. The other boy felt a tingle soon after they got in the water and got out of the water.  He couldn't warn Calder fast enough to get out of the water. Calder kept swimming toward the pool light.  That when 120 volts of electricity surged through the water. A nanny was watching the boys at the time. Her adult son pulled Calder out the water and they called 911. 

A neighbor tried to perform CPR on Sloan but was getting shocked himself in the process.

Calder's dad said his son loved the water. Sunday was the first time in months anyone had been in the pool. 

An electrical contractor who inspected the equipment after the accident, reportedly found that one of the ground wires connecting the pool switch to the transformer wasn't attached.  Water had seeped into the light creating the electric current. 

Although it appears the light was wired incorrectly when it was worked on recently, experts say that corrosion from South Florida's salty environment can lead to broken connections on electrical equipment.

Zip Code Weather!
Get a local weather report and a 10-day forecast by typing in your zip code!
Powered by WorldNow

WSLS 10, P.O. Box 10
Roanoke, VA 24022-0010

Telephone: 540.981.9110
Fax: 540.343.3157
Email: news@wsls.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.