FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -
A South Carolina man is set reunite with his family after FBI, state and local law enforcement rescued him in Cumberland County. The dramatic scene, playing out before dawn on Tuesday, was part of an elaborate, international kidnapping plot, an FBI official said.
The unidentified 23-year-old man was rescued around 5:00 a.m. inside a home in Beaver Dam, reports WECT-TV. Residents in the area told the outlet they saw dozens of agents, armored vehicles and helicopters throughout the county.
Agents worked out of a staging area in Bladen County since July 11.
Special agents with the FBI worked with more than 20 state and local law enforcement agencies throughout the United States and Mexico to rescue the man. Three people have been arrested with more arrests pending. As of Tuesday night, the FBI has not announced the names of those arrested nor their charges.
WIS-TV in Columbia reports the man was on his way to work earlier this month in Matthews, S.C., when a group, posing as law enforcement, pulled the man over and kidnapped him. The FBI says the group, that has ties to Mexico, then made ransom demands.
"Very early in the investigation, we began receiving telephone calls originating out of Mexico that wanted demands, money demands for the release of our victim," FBI Special Agent David Thomas said. "And there was multiple telephone calls, multiple people, multiple demands, and so it became obvious to us that this was being orchestrated from another country."
The FBI said demands were sent to the victim's family within hours of his disappearance and continued over a period of several days. The FBI was alerted to the kidnapping on July 9 and 10 by the Calhoun County Sheriff's Office.
The FBI said they were waiting to release the man to his family over concerns about his safety. They also have not released his name. More arrests and charges were expected as early as Wednesday.Copyright 2014 WNCN. All rights reserved.