ROANOKE – Check out this delicious, and savory take on Bread Pudding from our friends at Pumpernickel Pickle-- perfect for the Holidays!
Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding
1.5 cups heavy cream
.25oz dried mushrooms
.5 Tablespoon olive oil
½ yellow onion (cut into small slices)
.5 teaspoon minced shallots
.5 teaspoon minced garlic
3oz sliced wild mushrooms (shitakes)
1 Tablespoon molasses
3 eggs (beaten)
.5 teaspoon creole seasoning
Tabasco / salt and pepper to taste
2 cups stale bread (diced)
2 Tablespoon parmesan reggiano (grated)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
2. Bring cream and dried mushrooms to a boil; reduce to a simmer for 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool
3. Over medium high heat sauté onion, shallot and garlic in oil until the onion is lightly caramelized. Add fresh mushrooms and cook until tender (5 minutes) Add molasses and creole seasoning. Allow to cool
4. Strain cream through fine mesh sieve into the beaten eggs. Season well, and then add the bread to the egg, cream mixture allowing to set for 5 minutes. Stir in mushroom mixture and re-season.
5. Fill 16oz. buttered mold and top with the cheese
6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 16-18 minutes. Remove foil and cook and additional 3-4 minutes
7. Let rest for 2 minutes, serve warm