Resolution Kitchen: Thai Chicken Buddah Bowl
Kimberly Butterfield joins us to help us recover from a season of indulging
ROANOKE – Kimberly Butterfield, from the Virginia Cooperative Extension, joins us to help us recover from a season of indulging by changing up our eating habits. Plus, she's sharing a delicious Buddha Bowl recipe with us today!
Thai Chicken Buddha Bowls
· 1 cup brown rice
· 1/4 cup chicken stock
· 1 1/2 tablespoons chile paste
· 1 tablespoon brown sugar
· 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
· 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
· 1 tablespoon cornstarch
· 1 tablespoon fish sauce
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 2 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 shallot, minced
· 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
· Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
· 2 cups shredded kale
· 1 1/2 cups shredded purple cabbage
· 2 carrots, peeled and grated
· 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
· 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
For the spicy peanut sauce:
· 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
· 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
· 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
· 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
· 2 teaspoons chile paste
· To make the spicy peanut sauce, whisk peanut butter, lime juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, chile paste and 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl; set aside.
· Cook brown rice according to package instructions; set aside.
· In a small bowl, whisk together chicken stock, chile paste, brown sugar and lime juice; set aside.
· In a large bowl, combine chicken, cornstarch and fish sauce, tossing to coat and letting the chicken absorb the cornstarch.
· Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until golden, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic, shallot and ginger, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken stock mixture until slightly thickened, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
· Divide farro into bowls. Top with chicken, kale, cabbage, bean sprouts, carrots, cilantro and peanuts.
· Serve with spicy peanut sauce.
Copyright 2019 by WSLS 10 - All rights reserved.