(CNN) - Daniela Vega, the star of Oscar-winning film "A Fantastic Woman," made Oscar history on Sunday, becoming the first openly transgender person to present at the big ceremony.
Vega introduced a performance by Sufjan Stevens, whose song "Mystery of Love" from the "Call Me By Your Name" was nominated for best original song.
- Showtime: The 90th Academy Awards
- On the red carpet at the 2018 Academy Awards
- Oscar winners list: 'The Shape of Water' wins Best Picture
- Jordan Peele is first black screenwriter to win best original screenplay
- Oscars: Most memorable political moments
- Lupita Nyong'o and Kumail Nanjiani's powerful message to 'Dreamers'
- Jimmy Kimmel's best jokes and one-liners at the Oscars
- Oscars: 'We are Dreamers'
On stage, Vega seemed to acknowledge the importance of her presence on stage.
"Thank you so much for this moment," she said before introducing Stevens.
The unprecedented moment came on a big night for Vega.
"A Fantastic Woman," a Chilean film about a trans woman mourning the death of her partner, won the award for best foreign language film.
Copyright 2018 by CNN NewSource. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.