Fire at Mayberry Diner and Drive-In causes $300,000 in damages
BEDFORD CO. (WSLS 10) - A large fire that broke out at Mayberry Diner and Drive-In Thursday caused $300,000 in damages, according to the Bedford County Department of Fire and Rescue.
The fire was reported around 2:30 p.m. Thursday, March 2 at 1696 White House Road in Moneta.
Upon arrival, firefighters said they found heavy fire at the rear of the restaurant, primarily involving a storage area addition to the main building and a storage shed immediately adjacent to the right rear corner of the building.
Fire officials say these areas were destroyed, the back areas of the main building also had some fire damage, and the entire building had extensive heat and smoke damage.
The restaurant was open and occupied by several employees and customers at the time. Fire officials say they were alerted to the fire by a passer-by. No injuries were reported.
After an investigation by members of the Bedford County Fire & Rescue Fire Marshal's Office it was determined that the fire started at the bottom rear corner of the shed and was probably ignited by embers from cigarette materials that had been in a butt can located on the ground near the shed.
The Fire Marshal's Office said the embers were likely pulled out of the can by the strong winds present at the time. The building has been deemed uninhabitable by the Bedford County building official.
Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved