35ºF

Porch catches on fire at Roanoke home; one taken to the hospital

photo
(Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved)

ROANOKE (WSLS 10) - One person was taken to the hospital Sunday night after their porch caught on fire in Roanoke.

The fire happened at approximately 9:23 p.m. Sunday, July 26 in the 2800 block of Sand Road.

Upon arrival, crews say they found the fire under control by the homeowner. The blaze was officially knocked down at 9:30 p.m.

Fire officials say one person was transported to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital for smoke inhalation.

The inside of the home sustained some smoke damage.

Fire officials say fire was accidental and was caused by discarded smoking materials.

Damage estimates are approximately $15,000.