Tianjin Blasts: Firefighter rescued 31 hours after massive explosions
NBC News – A firefighter trapped for more than 31 hours was rescued from the blast site in the Chinese port city of Tianjin, according to a city official and state media.
At least 50 people — including 17 firefighters — were killed when two explosions erupted at around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday local time. Several firefighters are reportedly missing.
Gong Xian Shang, a Tianjin official, told a press conference that an individual had been rescued at 7:05 a.m. local time Friday (7:05 p.m. Thursday ET). No other details were provided.
The survivor was a 19-year-old firefighter named Zhou Ti, according to state media. China's state broadcaster CCTV said he received treatment for burns, smoke inhalation and an injured leg.
"Forces from all sides are searching for the (remaining) missing firefighters," Tianjin Fire Department head Zhou Tian said at a news conference early Friday, according to The Associated Press.
State news agency Xinhua said that a total of 701 people remained hospitalized after the blast and that more than a dozen firefighters were still missing.
Officials have not yet determined what chemicals were inside the warehouse facility which exploded, according to Xinhua.
Feng Yin Chang, a professor at Nankai University, told reporters Friday that air monitoring data show the air is safe for residents.
Tianjin is the world's 10th busiest container port in the world, according to the World Shipping Council, and in 2013 handled nearly as much volume as the port of Los Angeles and the port of New York and New Jersey combined.
Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved