North Charleston approves $6.5M settlement with Walter Scott's family
WCBD – The family of Walter Scott has reached a settlement in the civil case with the city of North Charleston. Walter Scott is the man who was shot and killed by a former North Charleston Police Officer after he tried to run away during a traffic stop.
During Thursday's North Charleston City Council meeting, council members voted unanimously to settle all claims in the death of Walter Scott with a settlement of $6.5 million.
North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey says, "This settlement is a step in the right direction for the family, the city, the Lowcountry, and our state."
Walter Scott's brother, Anthony Scott, says, "The city sent a message loud and clear that this kind of reckless behavior exhibited by members of law enforcement will not and shall not be tolerated."
The $6.5 million settlement is the largest of this kind in the state of South Carolina. Attorneys say a settlement is cheaper and less stressful on the Scott family than a lawsuit.
Anthony Scott says, "You can't put a value on someone's life, and it can't bring my brother back, but it can help to take care of his children."
At this time, attorneys can not release how the money will be divided, but they say some will go to Walter Scott's children and a portion is going to charity.
Anthony Scott says, "Due to the tragic flood in South Carolina that has impacted countless lives, the Scott family and our legal team will donate a portion of this settlement to disaster relief efforts being undertaken by American Red Cross."
This settlement has no impact on the criminal case. This is a settlement between the Scott family and city of North Charleston. Michael Slager, the man accused of murdering Walter Scott, will still go to trial and so far, no trial date for Slager has been set.
Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved