5 tips if your New Years Resolution is weight loss, healthy eating
ROANOKE (WSLS 10) - Two out of 3 Americans will make a New Years resolution for 2016 and most will be about eating better or getting more exercise. Don Mankie, a registered dietitian from Carilion Clinic shared the following tips and a healthy grocery list to get us started.
Healthy Heart Food Guide
1. Search for a healthy role model partner.
- Eating and exercising with a partner will give you that extra push.
- Look for some other person who is practicing the same health behaviors.
- Communicate and ask for participation and support from friends and family.
- Beware of TOXIC relationships and environments. Beware of trigger foods.
Eat More, Weigh Less
- Add in fruits and vegetables throughout the day. Set a goal of 5-7 per day.
- Plan meals in advance and keep high volume, low calorie foods on hand.
- Plan contingencies to deal with interruptions.
- Create a game plan that states clear & realistic goals. Any level of planning will work.
- Start with small goals. Establish new, anchor behaviors.
- Recruit a professional for an objective "partner." A Registered Dietitian (RD)
3. Portions and meals
- Measure portions of calorie dense foods.
- Nutrition label education: portions, number of servings, calories, protein and fiber (veg./fruits).
- Reduce the amount of foods that have labels, ie processed foods.
- Space meals out about every 3 hours to prevent getting over hungry.
4. Monitor Success Behaviors
- Maintain some form of records that emphasize healthy behaviors.
- Find a food and exercise that fits your lifestyle.
- Evaluate patterns. Focus on additive healthy behaviors.
- What I can do and how vs "I can't eat that," or "Will I make this change?"
- Pay attention to your mood. Are you stressed, hungry or bored? (HALT)
5. Trick your brain
- Eat your calories, don't drink them
- The brain needs 20 minutes to receive the signal that you have had enough
- Solid foods are more filling and take longer to consume than liquids. Vegetables and fruits.
- A broth based soup is an excellent first course because it takes time to eat & decreases appetite.
Healthy Shopping Guide
Exercise consistently. Check with your physician before beginning.
- Find exercise you enjoy and really miss when you can't do it.
- Begin with the easiest form of activity
- Schedule exercise like a work or doctor appointment
Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved