Roanoke fire caused by child playing with lighter

(Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved)

ROANOKE (WSLS 10) A fire on Hillcrest Avenue was caused by a child playing with a lighter.

Roanoke Fire-EMS were called Monday to the 3400 block of Hillcrest Avenue around 5:42 p.m. The fire was under control by 5:55 p.m. The child sustained a burn to the hand and was treated by EMS at the scene.

Damages are approximately $45,000.

Remember- it's spring break and kids are curious....keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children!