50ºF

Danville Fire Department stresses the danger of throwing cigarette butts on the ground

(Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved)

DANVILLE (WSLS10) - The Danville Fire Department has a reminder for smokers.

Monday, firefighters responded to four small fires caused by discarded cigarette butts.

One fire happened in the mulch in the median along Riverside Dr. near the YMCA, the other three happened in grassy medians along Riverside Dr.

Firefighters say throwing your cigarette out the window puts everyone at risk.

"We have had [cases where] someone tosses one out and it comes in through the rear window and [has] caught things on fire in the back of the car," Battalion Chief Shelby Irving explained. "So, we just urge all the drivers to use their ash trays."

Danville police say if your cigarette starts a fire that spreads to a home or business, you will likely be held accountable for the damages.


About the Author: