44ºF

Woman identified in deadly Martinsville house fire

(Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved)

MARTINSVILLE (WSLS 10) - Martinsville Fire and EMS have identified the person killed during Friday night's house fire. Authorities say 73 year old  Janie "G" Williams was home when the fire began. She was pronounced dead at the Martinsville Hospital shortly after arriving at their facility.

Martinsville Fire & EMS fire investigators along with help from Martinsville Police Investigator D Shumate concluded this portion of the fire and origin determination investigation at approximately 1:00 a.m. Saturday morning.

Authorities say the fire originated in an office of the home.  In this area were possible ignition sources such as a surge protector, candles, and an ashtray.Family members stated there were boxes against the surge protector that were used as barriers to keep one of their cats from chewing on the wires. Officials say it is unclear if the combustibles near the surge protector or damage to proximal wires from the cat's involvement or combination of the two possibly aided in the point of origin.

The fire  happened around 4:25 Friday afternoon on Corn Tassel Trail.

When firefighters first arrived, they were told someone was trapped inside the home. Firefighters were able to find that person. The victim was take to Martinsville Memorial Hospital where they died from their injuries.

Martinsville Fire & EMS were assisted by Dyer's Store volunteer fire department, Stone's ambulance service, Henry County Department of Public Safety, Martinsville Police Department, and Martinsville sheriffs office

The incident has been ruled as an accidental fire.