Residents evacuated following fire in Salem
Salem (WSLS 10) - Salem Fire & EMS Department responded to a fire at Brookdale Assisted Living located at 2001 Ridgewood Drive. It happened Saturday morning at approximately 10:27 a.m.. According to fire officials, the fire was contained to a dryer inside a laundry room. Twenty-three residents were evacuated while fire crews extinguished the fire and removed the smoke.
According to authorities, the first units arrived within five minutes of receiving the call and found heavy smoke in the basement. Crews were able to locate a dryer that was on fire in the basement of the building. The fire had been contained by the building's sprinklers. Crew had to complete extinguishment by utilizing a hand-line. It took crews almost 2 hours to remove the smoke from the building and assist residents back into their rooms.
The fire remains under investigation by the Salem Fire & EMS Fire Marshal's Office and there is no damage estimate at this time.
Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved