Danville crews work two overnight fires, 32 people displaced
DANVILLE (WSLS 10) - Two fires in Danville stretched crews and equipment overnight forcing the city to call in off-duty personnel.
The Danville Fire Department was called to the 100 block of White Street for a fire on Thursday at 11:05 p.m. First units found a small 2-story house with smoke showing. The fire was extinguished quickly. Crews say it was caused by unattended cooking. The person who lives there left something on the stove and fell asleep. No one was injured. The seven people who live there will not be able to return until the damage in the kitchen is repaired.
Another fire started at an apartment complex at Fitzgerald Apartments at 1236 West Main Street at 11:44 p.m.. This is a large, multi-story apartment building next door to Hardees. The first units on scene said there was smoke showing and the fire had extended to the
Crews say the apartment fire was caused by electrical wiring on the first floor. The apartment complex fire caused major damage in the first floor unit and smoke damage to the unit above and next to where the fire started. 32 people are having to find another place to stay since they had to shut off power to the building.
The American Red Cross is providing support to 21 people who have been impacted by the fire on West Main Street. The Red Cross is providing assistance to meet the family's immediate needs. Caseworkers will continue to work with the family in the coming days to help them with their recovery plan
Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved