71ºF

Improperly discarded smoking material caused fire in Roanoke County

photo
(Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved)

ROANOKE COUNTY (WSLS 10) - Improperly discarded smoking material caused $10,000 worth of damage at a home in Vinton, according to Roanoke County Fire & Rescue.

Crews were dispatched to the 100 block of West Virginia Avenue around eight Thursday night for a reported structure fire.

Roanoke County Fire & Rescue said when crews arrived, they found smoke coming from the side and attic of a garage attached to a single-story house.

Officials said the fire damaged the siding and attic of the garage.

There was also some smoke damage to the home.

The couple who live in the home were not hurt and are able to live in the house.

Fire officials want to remind you of smoking safety tips:

  • If you smoke, smoke outside.
  • Use deep, wide ashtrays on a sturdy table.
  • Never throw cigarette butts on the ground or in flower pots.
  • Never smoke in a home where oxygen is being used.
  • If you smoke, choose fire-safe cigarettes. They are less likely to cause fires.
  • To prevent cigarette fire, you have to be alert. You will not be if you are sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.
  • Keep matches and lighters up high out of children's sight and reach.