ROANOKE COUNTY (WSLS 10) - Landscapers hit a natural gas line Tuesday afternoon, causing a fire that resulted in about $10,000 in damages, according to the Roanoke County Fire & Rescue Department.
At about 2:45 p.m. Roanoke County Fire & Rescue crews responded to the 100 block of Clubhouse Drive for a report of a gas line leak.
When the first units arrived, they saw flames coming from the area where landscaping contractors had been digging. Firefighters protected several near-by homes from the flames until a gas company worker could arrive and shut off the natural gas line.
The fire marshal investigated and determined that a landscaping company was digging holes for fence posts and struck a natural gas line, causing it to leak.
The machinery sparked the flames and caused an estimated $10,000 in damages. The damage includes melted vinyl siding, a burned section of privacy fencing and water damage.
No injuries were reported.