VDOT: New traffic patterns affecting Virginia Tech move-in
BLACKSBURG (WSLS 10) - A new traffic pattern is in place that will affect students moving-in at Virginia Tech.
The Virginia Department of Transportation said the change is at the intersection of Southgate Drive and Duck Pond Drive.
The signal at the intersection at Duck Pond Drive and Southgate Drive has been removed and new traffic controls are in place.
The changes are aimed to help move traffic around the area where a new traffic circle is being constructed.
According to VDOT, the traffic controls include the following:
- A three-way stop at the intersection with Duck Pond Drive east of the traffic circle
- Traffic from Duck Pond Drive splits prior to Southgate Drive
- Traffic turning left onto Southgate Drive will stop in the left lane before proceeding to the three-way stop at Southgate Drive.
- Duck Pond Drive traffic turning right onto Southgate Drive will use a new ramp and will yield.
- Drivers on Southgate Drive turning left onto Duck Pond Drive will need to stop in the left turn lane before proceeding.
VDOT says If high traffic volumes begin to impact the area during move-in times, flaggers may be in place to direct traffic and the speed limit on Southgate Drive has been reduced to 25 mph.
As alternative routes during construction at the intersection, drivers can enter the campus using Prices Fork Road or Research Center Drive.
Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved