45ºF

Fire at Salem business causes $100,000 in damages

photo
(Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved)

SALEM (WSLS 10) - A fire at Spartan Silk Screen in downtown Salem caused about $100,000 worth of damage.

The fire happened at about 9:50 p.m. on Thursday, approximately 200 yards from Fire Station One.

The Salem Fire and EMS department said they saw smoke coming from the building, and found an employee trying to extinguish the flames.

The employee suffered minor injuries and did not go to the hospital.

Firefighters said the fire burned throughout the garage area of the business. Fire and EMS personnel were able to keep it from spreading to the main retail area of the store.

The fire was extinguished by 10:03 p.m. and the Fire Marshal's Office has ruled the fire as accidental.

The department says damage estimates have been set at $100,000 with most of the loss in equipment and inventory.