Madison Heights man facing felony charges after police chase in Campbell County

Dwayne Gibson, 29 of Madison Heights, Va. (Courtesy: Virginia State Police)
Dwayne Gibson, 29 of Madison Heights, Va. (Courtesy: Virginia State Police) (Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved)

CAMPBELL COUNTY (WSLS 10) - A Madison Heights man faces felony charges after attempting to evade police in Campbell County.

On Sunday, at about 1 a.m., Virginia State Police tried to stop 29-year-old Dwayne Gibson Jr., for speeding on Clark Road in Campbell County.

Police say he refused to stop, and led them on a chase. He proceeded to drive through the Evington area and eventually ended up on Route 460.

As he made a right turn from Route 460 onto Turkey Foot Road in Campbell County, the trooper tried to force him to stop and bring and end the pursuit, but the result caused the Gibson to run off the side of Route 460 and hit an embankment.

Gibson then attempted to run away and soon was arrested with the assistance of the Campbell County Sheriff's Office and Bedford County Sheriff's Office.

Police say he was taken into custody without further incident and was transported to Lynchburg General Hospital for treatment of minor injuries sustained in the crash. He was released early Sunday morning.

Further investigation revealed Gibson had outstanding warrants. In relation to the pursuit Gibson was charged with one felony count of eluding police, reckless driving and for driving on a suspended license.

The trooper who pursued Gibson also hit  the embankment off Route 460 during the crash, and he was transported to Lynchburg General Hospital, where he was treated and released for minor injuries.

Due to the need for medical assistance at and transport from the scene for Gibson and the trooper, the Brookville Timberlake Volunteer Fire Department responded to the scene at Route 460 and Turkey Foot Road.

Based on police investigation, the driver of the fire truck, Joshua L. Mata, 30, of Forest, Va., was arrested for DUI in Bedford County. Mata was transported to Blue Ridge Regional Jail.