Salem house fire caused by unattended cooking

(Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved)

SALEM (WSLS 10) - The Salem Fire & EMS Department responded to a structure fire in the 400 block of White Street Thanksgiving morning about 1:27 a.m. Two people were inside the home at the time of the fire, but both escaped without injury.

The first units arrived within six minutes of receiving the call and found heavy smoke and fire coming from the building. The fire was under control within seven minutes of the arrival of the first engine. The building has fire and smoke damage, but the fire was contained to the kitchen. The Salem Fire Marshal's Office determined the fire was caused by unattended cooking and the damage is estimated to be about $50,000. The people inside the home are staying with family.

Approximately 14 personnel from the Salem Fire & EMS Department responded. Roanoke Fire & EMS and Roanoke County Fire & Rescue was on standby to cover additional emergency calls for the City of Salem.