No one hurt after natural gas pipeline ruptures, gas catches fire at DCC
Construction crew installing fiber-optic cables hit line
DANVILLE – Danville Community College is back to normal after a natural gas leak and fire.
A construction crew hit the gas line around 6 p.m. while installing fiber-optic cable for the campus's Engineering and IT building.
The gas caught fire, but the gas was quickly shut off to the line and the remaining gas in the line burned itself out.
The caampus did not have to be evacuated.
The fire department believes the construction crew did call before starting to dig.
"We pulled hose lines, put them in place for protection and basically let it burn until the gas department could dig the line, go in the ground, and crimp that line and stop the flow of gas," Danville Fire Department Battalion Chief Dean Fowler said.
Once the fire was out, Danville Utilities replaced the ruptured line with a new pipe.
Copyright 2017 by WSLS 10 - All rights reserved.