42ºF

Lynchburg middle school evacuated after Thursday night fire

No one hurt in fire

LYNCHBURG, Va. – No one was hurt when a fire broke out Thursday night during a student concert at Dunbar Middle School in Lynchburg, Lynchburg Fire Chief Brad Ferguson said.

Dispatchers received the call about 8 p.m.

The school had to be evacuated.

Ferguson said the fire was in the commercial dryer next to the boy's locker room. Though the exact cause of the fire has not yet been determined, it could have been due to a buildup of lint, he said.

The fire was extinguished and damage was confined to the dryer. Some smoke went into the boy's locker room and gym.