Danville man in hospital after SWAT officer-involved shooting


DANVILLE, Va. – A man is recovering after a SWAT officer-involved shooting in Danville Sunday evening. Police say he was armed and had made threats against others, including authorities. 

At 5:35 p.m., a woman called 911 to report that her husband told her over the phone that he was armed and was going to kill himself. Officers responded to the caller's home on the 100 block of Lawson Street and attempted to locate her husband, 36-year-old Keith Davis. 

Davis was not home and refused to tell his wife where he was. Officers tried to find his cellphone and also checked locations he was known to visit, including Caswell County, North Carolina. Officers could not find him. 

Later, at 9:22 p.m., the woman called 911 to report that her husband had come home and was on the back porch with a gun. She told police he threatened her and broke the door to get in. Davis' 12-year-old son was in the home at the time.

The woman and child both fled, and officers were able to confront Davis. When he took out a gun, officers called for assistance from a SWAT team and crisis intervention negotiators. 

During this time, police say Davis made his way onto the roof of the residence, armed with a handgun. Over the course of following three and a half hours, the negotiators attempted to de-escalate his emotions and convince him to surrender.  During these negotiations, Davis threatened suicide, placed the gun in his mouth and made statements that he would force the police to shoot him, according to the police department. 

At 12:55 a.m. Davis jumped from the main roof to a lower level roof on the residence. Officers used a Taser without success and Davis crawled through a window into the home. SWAT simultaneously made entry into the residence and confronted Davis, who had a gun in his hand.  A second Taser was deployed without success and when Davis made threatening moves with the gun, police say a SWAT officer fired his gun multiple times at Davis. 

Davis was taken to Danville Regional Medical Center for treatment.  He was subsequently transferred to Carilion Hospital in Roanoke for further treatment and is reported to be in stable condition. 

Per the policy of the Danville Police Department, the name of the officer will be released in three days.

Anyone with information about this incident is encouraged to call Danville Crime Stoppers at (434) 793-0000 or email crimetips@danvilleva.gov.