Danville officer-involved shooting may have been the result of dispute over dog

Keith Davis, 36, shot multiple times by officer Monday morning

DANVILLE, Va. – Late Monday morning, Virginia State Police were back at a home in the 100 block of Lawson Street, blocking off the street as they continued their investigation.

Around 1 a.m., Keith Davis, 36, was shot multiple times inside the home by a Danville Police Department SWAT officer after a roughly 3 1/2-hour standoff.

"The Danville Police Department answered several calls related to this incident," said Danville Police Lt. Mike Wallace.

The first call came in around 5:30 Sunday evening when Davis's wife reported Davis told her he had a gun and was going to kill himself.

Before police could find him, they received a second call around 9:30 p.m. from Davis's wife saying Davis was at the home and was kicking in the door.

According to police, Davis climbed onto the roof of the home and then eventually climbed into the home through a window.

That's when the SWAT team went in.

Police attempted to tase him twice, once on the roof and once inside the home.

They say they shot Davis when he pointed a gun at them in the home, following the second tasing attempt.

"The taser has two prongs that come out. Both of those prongs have to hit the intended target for it to be fully effective," said Wallace.

Jessica Hill works at the Liberty gas station right next to the home. She tells WSLS 10 that Davis was upset after a dispute over his dog.

Hill said she tried to talk to him about the situation a few days ago.

"He said that him and his girlfriend had been arguing and he had put her out and she took the dog," Hill recalled. "I told him that he has a son that's in his sole custody and he needs to think before he does anything drastic."

Davis' wife and son were in the home when the incident started Sunday evening, but were able to get out safely when Davis started kicking down the door.

As of Monday evening, Davis remained hospitalized in stable condition.

Danville police and Virginia State Police are jointly investigating the shooting.

About the Author: