Virginia tax free weekend savings on school supplies, clothing and more
2017 tax free weekend is August 4 to 6
ROANOKE – Tax free weekend is August 4-6 in Virginia. The 3-day sales tax holiday starts the first Friday in August at 12:01 am and ends Sunday at 11:59 pm.
During the sales tax holiday, you can buy qualifying school supplies, clothing, footwear, hurricane and emergency preparedness items, and Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products without paying sales tax. Some retailers are even offering to pay the sales tax for you if your items do not qualify. Many retailers also offer discounts to compete for shoppers.
What items are eligible?
School supplies, clothing, and footwear
- Qualified school supplies - $20 or less per item
- Qualified clothing and footwear - $100 or less per item
Hurricane and emergency preparedness products
- Portable generators - $1,000 or less per item
- Gas-powered chainsaws - $350 or less per item
- Chainsaw accessories - $60 or less per item
- Other specified hurricane preparedness items - $60 or less per item
Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products
- Qualifying Energy Star™ or WaterSense™ products purchased for noncommercial home or personal use - $2,500 or less per item
Copyright 2017 by WSLS 10 - All rights reserved.