Herring announces legal resource guide for military members, veterans
Attorney General Mark R. Herring launched the Virginia Military and Veteran Legal Resource Guide on Friday. It's a new tool to help Virginia service members, military families, and veterans utilize the legal protections, rights, and resources available to them under the law.
Volunteer attorneys spent more than a year developing the new guide which is available at www.VaMilGuide.com and will be distributed in hard copy and electronically in conjunction with the Virginia Department of Veterans Services, veterans' service organizations, and more.
The free 33-page guide covers areas of unique concern to active duty military, military families, and veterans, including:
- Including the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), pension and deferred compensation payments during military leave, continuing healthcare, and leave for military spouses and other family members
• Consumer Protections
- Including the Service members Civil Relief Act (SCRA) which limits interest rates on loans, limits sale, foreclosure and seizure of homes, restricts repossession and eviction, and allows for the termination of certain leases
- Including the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children, re-enrollment rights at colleges and universities, and certain tuition discounts for service members, their families, and veterans.
- Including deductions and exemptions for certain military pay, extensions on filing, and tax relief for disabled veterans and surviving spouses.
• Family Law
- Including legal protections to ensure proceedings are fair to a service member who may be called away for service and issues surrounding child custody and visitation
• Voting and Line of Duty Act
- Including programs to ensure easy access to the ballot for deployed service members and state benefits available to certain service members killed or disabled in the line of duty.
• Access to Legal Services
- Including contact information for attorneys and other professionals to assist with benefits issues, criminal matters, family law, and estate planning, including Attorney General Herring's quarterly Veterans Legal Clinics.
Copyright 2017 by WSLS 10 - All rights reserved.