AMHERST COUNTY, Va. – A fire in Amherst County destroyed a home in the 100 block of Angel Hollow Lane.
Fire crews were called out just before 3 a.m. and were on scene for hours.
Christina Simpson was at home with her two daughters when the fire started but they were able to get out safely.
"The girls lost everything. They lost their Christmas. I lost my home. If anyone can help. We weren't even fully dressed leaving the house," said Simpson in a Facebook post.
Gary Roakes, the Amherst County fire marshal, says the fire started outside, came up the outside wall and got into the attic, destroying the home completely. He says ashes from a wood stove were emptied onto the deck and the fire started from that overnight.
Roakes warns everyone that even if your ashes feel cold, you should still soak them in water to make sure fires don't start.
There were no injuries and the American Red Cross is helping the family.
The family has started a GoFundMe. Click here to help.
Some community members have expressed an interest in donating Christmas gifts for the children, as well as essential items. Simpson says her daughters love Shimmer and Shine, Dora the Explorer, Frozen, Barbies, and coloring.
Here are the family's clothing sizes:
Size 4T/5T. Toddler 10 shoes..4T underwear
Size 3T shirts 2T/3T pants toddler 7 shoes size 3T pull-up
Size 14 pants XL shirts 9.5 shoes
The family has moved to temporary housing. Simpson says any large donation items can be sent to or dropped off at either of the following addresses:
1994 Blueberry Lane
Lovingston, VA 22949
55 Simpson Place
Faber, VA 22938