Wood stove likely to blame for Henry County fire Wednesday

Lawn mower repair business destroyed

HENRY COUNTY, Va. – A wood stove is believed to have started a fire that destroyed a lawn mower repair business Wednesday morning.

The fire happened in the 2300 block of Oak Level Road.

A worker in an ambulance driving by called in the fire just after 8:30 a.m.

The business owner lives on the property, but firefighters said the owner wasn't aware of the fire until the ambulance crew stopped and told him.

His home was also damaged, but firefighters say it is livable.

"There was a lot of gas and aerosol cans and some explosions, but after we got some water on it and contained (the blaze), it wasn't too bad," Bassett Fire Chief Junior Lynch said.

A wood heater is also believed to have caused a deadly fire and explosion last month in a Pittsylvania County man's workshop.