Wind causes fire that destroys garage, damages Danville home

Home unoccupied at the time of the incident

(Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved)

DANVILLE, Va. – A fire destroyed a garage and damaged a two-story home in Danville on Friday.

Crews arrived to the fire at 138 Shannon Drive to find wind-driven, heavy smoke and fire conditions coming from the garage.

They first tried to extinguish the flames from the inside but were hampered by deteriorating conditions.

A partial collapse of the garage forced fire crews to retreat and continue to battle the flames from the outside of the home.

The fire had damaged the electric service to the residence and the electric department had to shut down part of the power grid before firefighters could safely re-enter the home to search for any hidden fires.

Due to the freezing conditions, an additional engine, as well as other support apparatus, were called to assist on the scene.

In all, the fire department responded with 16 firefighters, four chief officers and two members of the fire marshal's office. 

The attached garage was destroyed by the fire with the home sustaining heat and smoke damage to the second story.

The Fire Marshal's Office believes that lines arcing from the heavy wind conditions caused the leaves around the home to catch fire. The fire then spread to the siding and eventually into the garage attic space.

The home was unoccupied at the time of the incident.

About the Author: