Martinsville house fire causes over $20,000 in damage

Fire marshal says two people and a dog got out safely, another dog was saved

Cause of Roanoke house fire ruled accidental (Image 1)
Cause of Roanoke house fire ruled accidental (Image 1) (Copyright by WSLS - All rights reserved)

MARTINSVILLE, Va. –  Martinsville's fire marshal, Ted Anderson, said a house fire in the 900 block of Chalmers Street caused over $20,000 in damages. 

The marshal said the fire happened around 11 Sunday morning.

When firefighters arrived, they saw smoke and flames coming from the basement.
They confirmed two people and one dog made it out safely.
 A firefighter found the family's other dog unconscious inside, and gave him oxygen after taking him to safety.
Anderson says the dog was conscious and moving when the family took him to the hospital afterwards.
     Firefighters contained the blaze to the basement with some damage in the kitchen upstairs.
     The fire is believed to have been accidental and started in the basement,  according to firefighters.
     The investigation is still ongoing.