Summer Heat Danger: Your garden hose could cause serious burns
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (WJXT) – The summer heat is here and so is a warning to parents about garden hoses and other heat-related dangers.
The Las Vegas Fire and Rescue Department is reminding people about a 2016 incident where a child was burned by water inside a garden hose heated up by the summer heat.
The department tweeted out a picture of the child on Monday as a safety alert for parents.
A garden hose exposed to direct sunlight during summer can heat the water inside the hose (not flowing) to 130-140 degrees which can cause burns, especially to children and animals.
In 2016, there were 93 people who sought medical attention for heat-related illness in Duval County.
That was second only to Hillsborough County, which had 47 percent more people.
Staying Safe in the Heat
- If you are working in the heat, stay hydrated and keep a bottle of water close by.
- Take breaks in the shade as often as possible.
- If you are exercising outside, limit your strenuous activities to early in the morning or late in the evening.
- When using a garden hose, if it has been sitting in the sun, make sure to let the water flow through it for a couple of minutes before spraying it on anyone.
Copyright 2018 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.