Residents are cleaning up after an apartment fire in Martinsville
MARTINSVILLE, Va.- – People at an apartment complex in Martinsville are without a place to call home Monday night after a weekend fire.
Fire damaged units at Church Street Square on Saturday. It took fire officials about four hours to put out the fire.
It destroyed the roof of the building and caused water and smoke damage. The fire marshal said food left unattended on a stove in unit 12 caused the fire.
James Martin, whose mother lived in one of the apartments, said he was concerned about her health during the fire.
"It was rough because she's disabled. She's on oxygen and her health is not really good so that was my main concern. With smoke and fire, she's not as able to get out like everyone else would have been," Martin said.
The apartments are managed by Piedmont Community Services. The executive director said all 35 residents have been placed at a local hotel until the apartments can be rebuilt which could take six to eight months.
All monetary donations can be directed to Grace Network. Checks made out to Grace Network can be mailed to:
P.O. Box 3902
Martinsville, VA 24115
Please note that “Piedmont” has to be on the memo line for it to be designated to our account. Checks may also be dropped off in person.
Online donations are available as well at http://gracenetworkmhc.org/
There is a section for comments and PIEDMONT must be listed in order for the donations to be allocated to our account.
Copyright 2018 by WSLS 10 - All rights reserved.