Unattended cooking could be to blame for Henry County house fire
Fire broke out around 1 p.m. Sunday
HENRY COUNTY, Va. – Unattended cooking may be to blame for a house fire in Henry County.
The house in the 8811 Chatham Road was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.
The husband and wife that live there were at a family reunion nearby when the fire broke out around 1 p.m. Sunday.
The wife, Mary Robertson, said a family member who lives nearby discovered the fire and notified her and her husband.
"We just jumped in our cars and took off up here," Robertson said. "(The fire) started, maybe, from the little convection oven that we had. I had it on; I was going to fix me a potato and then I was going to run down to the church. That's the only thing that crosses my mind."
She and her husband had lived in the home for about 50 years.
"I cried," Robertson said when asked what her reaction was when she saw her house on fire.
"I don't know (what we'll do). I just have to take it a day at a time," she said.
She and her husband plan to stay with family members for the time being.
Copyright 2018 by WSLS 10 - All rights reserved.