Roanoke police release new details after 16-hour police standoff

Roanoke City police captain confirmed standoff over


Roanoke police have officially charged a man after a 16-hour standoff.

William Joseph Patrick Kennedy, a 41-year-old resident of Union Hall in Franklin County, is being held in the Roanoke City Jail.

Kennedy is charged with malicious injury to a law enforcement officer and the use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. 

William Kennedy
William Kennedy

12:45 p.m. update:

Roanoke City police released a statement about the 16-hour standoff between police and a man who barricaded himself in a Roanoke hotel.

According to the release, and as 10 News has reported, the incident began Friday when Salem police detectives were investigating a stolen vehicle from Salem in the area around the Extended Stay Hotel on Frontage Road NW.

"Investigation led to the individual involved and Roanoke Police Officers responded to assist with the investigation. Officers made contact with the individual through the door and at one point in the conversation officers heard what they believed to be a gunshot from inside the room. Officers withdrew to a position of safety and notified the Tactical Response Team. The Tactical Response Team responded and took over the incident. The rooms surrounding the room occupied by the involved individual were evacuated for safety and the Hotel staff made accommodations for all those affected.
Officers were in communication with the individual throughout the night," the release said.

At about 8:30 a.m. Saturday, Capt. Stephen Keatts said the decision was made to enter the room and take the man into custody. Officers opened the door to the room and used a chemical agent to make the man comply with officers. The man fired additional shots in the direction of the officers.

"Officers utilized less than lethal weapons to take the individual into custody. No one was seriously injured in this incident," Keatts said.

The man was taken to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital for evaluation. The investigation is ongoing. Police will continue working with the commonwealth's attorney to determine the appropriate charge. The identity of the man involved is being withheld at this time.

Keatts said once charges are determined more information will be released.

Keatts told 10 News he is proud that the standoff was resolved without loss of life or serious injuries.

"The Roanoke Police Department is proud of the professionalism demonstrated by all officers involved. We also appreciate the assistance of the Salem and Roanoke County Police Departments in this incident," Keatts said.


10:45 a.m. update:

Captain Keatts with the Roanoke City police department said the man who barricaded himself inside the hotel room fired shots at police Saturday. Police fired non-lethal shots back at the man and were able to subdue him with bean bags rounds.

The man was taken to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital after the altercation but is expected to recover.

Charges are pending.

10 News will have more updates throughout the day.

9:00 a.m. update:

According to Captain Keatts with the Roanoke City police department, the standoff is over.

More details will be released soon. The name of the man arrested has not yet been released.

8:45 a.m. update:

After police entered the Extended Stay America hotel around 8:30 a.m. Saturday, a man could be seen exiting the hotel.

Smoke could be seen coming from the room as he was exiting.

10 News crews on scene said the man was apprehended by police.

It is unclear if the man apprehended is the suspect. The man was handcuffed by police and put into a police vehicle.

Police have not released official details about the incident.

One of the armored vehicles could be seen leaving the scene.

8:15 a.m. update:

A heavy police presence remains in place Saturday morning, as the standoff continues with a man believed to have a gun in a Roanoke hotel. As of 8:30 a.m., the standoff has lasted 16 hours.

Two police armored vehicles are now on scene, along with multiple police officers.

10 News crews on scene, along with witnesses nearby report hearing shots or loud pops fired.

Police have entered the hotel.

Police have not released any additional details about the situation.

Police are in a standoff situation with someone at the Extended Stay America on Frontage Road off Interstate 581 in Roanoke, according to authorities.

Roanoke police said they believe the male suspect is still in the hotel. They said there are no known injuries and they have had some contact with the suspect.

There have been some voluntary evacuations at the hotel.

Authorities said that the standoff started around 4:30 p.m. with about a dozen officers on the scene. They said that no shots have been fired, but police believe that the person has a gun.

Roanoke police initially came to the scene after some involvement with Salem Police. City of Salem spokesman Mike Stevens said at this time their investigation may or may not be related to the standoff.

Police also said people driving on Interstate 581 are safe.

This is a developing story. Stay with WSLS for more information.

About the Authors: